Saturday, March 24, 2012

From the eyes of a kid

Remember the TV show Kids Say the Darndest Things?

Bill Cosby, he was the host.

I have a story that could've been on the show.

For all you teachers and parents, I know you have a treasure chest of stories. It's really fun to revisit them every once in a while, how do you remember them? Maybe you write them down, perhaps it gets stored in your brain as a memory only to be triggered by a certain person or place, or maybe you think of the moments randomly and you end up chuckling to yourself.

In an attempt to remember, I must write, and tell. So here you go!

I was teaching an 8 year old boy the mechanics of skiing. While on the lift we played eye spy, told jokes, sang songs(replacing the words for "here we loopty loo" with "here we go up the lift") and laughed.

By the first run I realized how much of a sponge he was. He was taking every instruction very literally so I had to be extremely aware of the verbiage I was using to explain things like the wedge. Somehow we got on the topic of the meaning of the words guilty and innocent. I explained the meanings by using an imaginary snow throwing situation. At the core of it I said that if you threw the snowball at an unknown victim you would be guilty of throwing the snowball, and if you didn't you would be innocent.

I thought it was a good example given the surrounding snow. But I may have overshot connotations that come with the word guilty because he turned to me and said: "so does that mean God is guilty of making everything?" and "whose guilty of making the fake snow?" (because I had told him about the snow blowers for bare spots)

Later when we were playing eye spy:

Student: I spy something apricot

Me: is it your skis?

Student: nope

Me: your jacket? that sign?

Student: no,no. Let me tell you. It's your skin!

Me: Ohhh, if my skin is apricot, what color is yours?

Student:(as he reaches out to see a tiny sliver of skin between his glove and his jacket) Thinks for a few moments ...White!

(he's asian)

So I have been blessed with apricot skin, didn't know that until now.

1 comment:

  1. I would take apricot skin as a wonderful compliment. It's a sight better than being compared to a tomato!

    ReplyDelete